Withstanding the Waves!
With the “Marshallese Story / Withstanding the Waves” the NGO Jo-Jikum and the German filmmakers of the “kameradisten” have brought a unique project to Majuro (RMI), in which you are invited to join in. “The Marshallese Story” is a participatory film project. It has three fascinating goals.
1. You as a participant will learn how to operate cameras and audio equipment and how to edit video. You will be provided with all the skills you need in the future when using the powerful and persuading tool of video to express your viewpoints and present your issues to the public.
2. You will not remain in a learning position. You will be a teacher as well. Because it is the participatory approach that enables the filmmakers from the other side of the globe to learn from you, what you will teach them on Marshallese culture, Marshallese knowledge and Marshallese tradition.
3. The project will bring a full feature documentary movie to the international cinema. It will be a movie by the Marshallese people for the world to understand how rich our culture is and what obstacles we face to protect it from the rising sea level.
It’s free! Pick one of these workshop days and come in on time to join us:
Filming workshops run from May to August 2018 and these are the time frames:
– Every Monday from 3 pm to 8 pm at Laura Highschool
– Every Wednesday from 10 am to 3 pm in the Majuro City Hall
– Every Friday from 10 am to 3 pm at CMI Campus in the Old Library
– Also every Friday from 3 pm to 8 pm at CMI Campus in the Old Library
– Every Sunday from 10 am to 3 pm at CMI Campus in the Old Library
Editing workshops will run from September to November 2018 and these are the time frames
– Every Sunday from 10 am to 3 pm at Lojkar, House 8
– Every Monday from 3.30 pm to 8 pm at Laura Highschool